Thursday, April 17, 2008

phew

I got my application for the scholarship to SOAR in the mail yesterday. I am so happy to have that done! I really struggled with writing the essay. I've written tons of essays about why people should give me money to learn about computer science, but somehow that didn't transfer easily to persuading people to give me money to learn about spinning. Also, spinning is such a right side of the brain thing--I think that didn't help with the left-brain writing part.
Anyway, it's done!!! I really hope I get the scholarship--I so want to go. They have a whole three-day workshop on color in spinning--*drool*! And a few other three-day workshops at the same time that I would also love to take, plus a whole bunch of awesome half-day sessions for the second part. I wish I could take them all.
Also, blanket night was cancelled last night--nobody else was going to be there, so I got to work on the blanket in the comfort of my own home. I finished the last wide stripe; all that's left is one last repeat of the pink-yellow-rainbow-pink pattern of narrow stripes. Just eight rows! If I work on it tonight, I'll probably finish it. But, I am running low on the rainbow yarn. If it doesn't last two more rows, I really am going to scream.
I spun some more on the Hoobody roving last night too. That stuff is so gorgeous. And there is definitely a huge difference in the staple length between that and the cheap fiber.


The staple length on the Hoobody stuff, which is South American Punta, is about 9 inches. The cheap stuff, which is mystery wool, is more like 4.5 inches. Plus the cheap stuff has a lot of little fuzz balls and veggie stuff in it. Looks like you get what you pay for. The cheap stuff still made that crazy color jelly bean yarn that I dyed over the weekend, so I'm not knocking it. I'm just saying the nicer stuff is more enjoyable to spin.
I've been thinking about what to make out of this yarn. Well, both of them--every time I walk by the dining room table and see all that crazy color stuff, I feel like I'll die if I don't do something with it right now! But the yarn I'm spinning now... it's about four ounces of fiber. I think I'm going to keep it as singles and maybe make some kind of scarf out of it using knit and crochet together. If four ounces of fiber is enough for a scarf. I'd probably have to add in some other yarn as filler.

No comments: