Wednesday, April 2, 2008

unexpected victory

Last night I had a big plan for a whole lot of stuff I wanted to get done. Unfortunately, none of it involved yarn. No time for yarn! Must do do do!
Well, my husband is out of town, and we ended up talking on the phone for an hour and a half. Luckily, I had the foresight to use the hands-free headset, because I finished the yellow thing!


It's three ounces of Red Heart Supersaver, bright yellow. This yarn was given to me at my learning to knit lesson, and for some reason, I felt compelled to keep going until I used all the yarn. Thank goodness they didn't give me a bigger skein!
Despite the color and the scratchiness (well, and the pointlessness), I'm pretty happy with this thing. I learned to knit! You can see my progress if you follow the Z shape from top to bottom--my gauge got more consistent and tighter, I tried garter, stockinette, and little interludes of seed stitch, 2x2 ribbing, and 1x1 ribbing. The only dropped or added stitches are in the first two inches or so. It even came out almost symmetrical. Not bad for the first knit thing I ever made. And now it's finished--I'm free to pursue other softer, prettier yarns. Oh yeah.
And I almost forgot: I learned to bind off. That was easy, although it's one of those things that seems to call for a crochet hook, at least to me. Onward and upward!

No comments: