Tuesday, July 15, 2008

a little spinning and dreaming

I finally made a little progress toward my Tour de Fleece goal. Well, I did the easy part: I started spinning the roving into singles. I started at the purple end.


As you can see, it's not the most even yarn I've ever spun. I was doing it during a huge thunderstorm, and I blame the humidity or electricity in the air or something. There were no concrete flaws in the fiber, but the spinning was just not going well. Also I did it early on dyeing day, when I knew I'd be up until the middle of the night with the dyeing if I didn't get on the prep post haste (which is exactly how it turned out) so I think that kept me from really relaxing and enjoying the spinning. Also, in retrospect, it might have been a better idea to learn to Navajo ply and then spin the singles so they could be plied while they were still fresh. Oh well. I think I'm going to crochet this computer cozy anyway, so it won't really matter if the yarn is unbalanced.
In other news, I'm looking for a new house with studio space, so I can do my dyeing without trashing the kitchen. My current setup is a real hindrance to accomplishing much--it's a big hassle to set up and tear down the operation in the kitchen, I coat everything with plastic but still fear ruining something with dye, and food preparation and eating is rendered nearly impossible while dyeing is in progress and until I clean everything back up. I adore my current house--it has huge windows and skylights and is a beautiful house--but it is kind of far from work, and there's just no way to get around the logistics of the lack of dye studio. I've found a couple of good prospects; I'm very excited to see how it all turns out.

No comments: