Wednesday, July 30, 2008

still biking

I feel like the guy in that song "The Distance"--the race is long over, and he's still pointlessly driving around the race course.
The sun has gone down and the moon has come up
And long ago somebody left with the cup
But he's striving and driving and hugging the turns
And thinking of someone for whom he still burns


I never got that song--why didn't that dude just go home? I guess there's some metaphorical thing about relationships in there that I'm missing. But anyway, the Tour de Fleece isn't really a race, and I want this yarn! So I continue even though the race is over.


I was sure I'd finish last night, but still not. It was so great to be reunited with my spinning wheel--when I started, I had this rush of zen and bliss. But as I kept spinning and spinning and not finishing, I started getting really tired, and I still had to balance the checkbook and do the bills. I can't believe how long this is taking, but I finally stopped in the middle of plying. It just wasn't fun any more, and I really needed to get to work so I could go to bed.
And I was so sure the Yarn Harlot would join me in failing--who the heck can spin more than three pounds of fleece in a few weeks? But she did. Go her--it really is an impressive accomplishment. Meanwhile I'm still struggling with my two ounces. On the other hand, she actually injured herself, and it doesn't sound like she had a lot of fun. That's exactly the sort of lunatic die-hard mentality I'm trying to train myself out of for all situations in which it's not absolutely crucial. So let's all chill and just try to make nice yarn for fun and be happy. That's my goal from now on.

No comments: