Friday, May 23, 2008

happy days

I missed you guys yesterday--the power was out in the morning, and the day never quite got back on track. And exciting things are afoot: the yarn has started to arrive!


It is so exciting to go home to big boxes of yarn waiting for me! If every day was like this, I would die of happiness. And that's just what came on Wednesday--more arrived yesterday! The final lot is supposed to arrive today, which is really good because currently each kit is missing one or two yarns. It's like a fantasy novel--when all of the magic yarns are united, we will have the power to take over the world! Mwahahahahahahaha!
Incredibly, so far all of the yarns are gorgeous and almost exactly like they looked on the internet, except one. Even the one bad seed is kind of growing on me, and anyway it was just supposed to be one row of trim on the bottom of one of the capes. If I decide it's too ugly, the kit will be just fine without it. Or there's another color of the same yarn that I should have bought instead; maybe I should exchange it. Unfortunately, this is the only yarn in its shipment that came in a well-sealed bag, so I can't even touch it before I decide.
Anyway, why dwell on the one bad one? The rest are absolutely fabulous, gorgeous, and wonderful, and I'm very excited. I've already started crocheting up a sample capelet for the blues/greens kit. Well, actually, I've only got one row done, but it is started. Basically, a ton of work just showed up at my house in the form of all these boxes of yarn, and it's my favorite kind of work in the world.
And, on top of all that, a bonus yarn I threw into the order almost on impulse has arrived and is ten times more wonderful than I even imagined.


This is going to be kits for a summer wrap. It's angora, viscose, and nylon, a strange-sounding combination, but it is incredibly soft. Not fuzzy bunny soft, though, super smooth luxurious soft. And of course the colors are killing me with their fabulosity. I was originally going to do one color with the white per kit, but I love how they look together, so I think it's time for a new plan. You all know what I'm going to be doing this weekend!
Actually, I am going to take time out to go to the Tennessee Fiber Festival tomorrow. My parents are in town, and I think we'll all have fun walking around and looking at all the goodies. I love love love going to this kind of thing! Fiber people are so friendly, and just looking at all the colors and textures is a feast for the senses, and almost any conversation you may overhear is yarn-related! Plus my dad is probably driving, so I'll have time to knit or crochet. Yes!
And as if all that wasn't enough good news and exciting happenings, Yarns to Dye For finally came! I won it on Kathleen Taylor's blog back in April, and I was beginning to think it was lost in the mail. But Media Mail came though at last.



This book is so awesome. I still can't believe I won a copy of it. I was flipping through it a little last night, and I can't wait to actually read it. It looks like she goes into a lot of detail about self-patterning yarns and how to get them to do what you want, which of course is exactly what I want to know. Stay tuned for a complete review as soon as I've devoured this book, which you can bet will be as soon as I can. Meanwhile, happy Memorial Day, everyone! Enjoy the long weekend!

2 comments:

~ Phyllis ~ said...

Hi Cara,
Congratulations on winning the book.
Your yarns look great. Looks like you are going to be busy. I'm anxious to see the kits when you have put them together.
Hope you had fun in Dickson. Was it crowded on Saturday? We went up on Friday. Not many people there. Got some nice fiber.

Cara said...

Thanks, ~P~! I'll have to bring the kits one Saturday so you can see them in person. The yarn is really awesome.
The festival was a blast. It was not particularly crowded on Saturday--not deserted, but not stuffed with people, either. It was perfect for looking at everything, although I expect the vendors would have liked a bigger crowd. More publicity would help--I never would have known it was going on if you hadn't told me!