I had to spin the sample wool I dyed to make sure it worked (woe is me), so I finally got some spinning in!
This is the BFL that I showed in this post. At one end, the color spots were very small and close together, so as I was spinning the singles, it just looked like black. I was very disappointed. But as I went on, I got to some bigger spots, and I started liking it better. Then I Navajo plied it.
Even the "black" parts have depth and interest, since they're not true black but very dark blue and red mixed together, and the other parts really set it off. I was surprised to be very happy with this yarn after all. And it was a dream to spin, not felted at all, so my process will work. Off to dye more!