Tuesday, September 30, 2008

what I did on my summer vacation (finally)

This is old news by now, but I finally got pictures of some of the dyeing I did on my yarn retreat. I did a lot of the usual sock yarn, but I also tried out some new stuff: spinning fiber, some really awesome brushed mohair yarn, and some absolutely luscious alpaca/merino/silk yarn.
On one big experimental day, I dyed a whole bunch of different things in the same colorway. It's one of my favorites: wildflower. I think it's interesting to see how the different fibers took the dye. Here's the brushed mohair.


And this is the alpaca/merino/silk yarn.


It's even better in person. After dyeing all this sock yarn, I've mostly stopped wanting to keep the yarn that I dye, but this stuff is so soft and so gorgeous, I totally want to keep it.
I also did spinning fiber that day. Here's some BFL, still the same dyes.


And finally, a 70/30 merino/tencel blend. This is the one I got from Little Barn because the 50/50 stuff I really wanted is on back order.


Again, the tencel is definitely not integrated with the wool, so it makes those white streaks. I kind of like it, but I'm still eager to get the more blended 50/50 stuff.
I've done some other colorways, too. Here's Beach Dreams in BFL.


After the first batch I did where everything came out so dark, I'm really pleased with how these came out. My first festival as a vendor is coming up in a couple of weeks, and I need everything I dyed and way more to be ready. Meanwhile, the spinning fiber (these and more) will be up on my Etsy shop by tomorrow morning.

No comments: