Monday, October 6, 2008

pure fun

I finally got to spin something! It seems like it's been forever since I've done that.
Remember this roving?


I dyed it about two weeks ago and was surprised at how dark it came out. Well, I had to see whether those tencel streaks would become more blended in the final yarn or what.



This is where my knowledge of exact terminology is lacking. Heathered? Marled? Whatever, I think it's a really cool effect. The fiber was super easy to spin, too. It's not as soft as the luscious BFL, but still very nice. I Navajo plied it to keep the colors lined up, and also because I have leftover ends of unfinished stuff on all my bobbins, so trying to spin two identical halves and then ply them together was even more unlikely than usual. This is representative of my life right now--kind of a perpetually behind disorganized mess. I can't decide if I should try to be zen about it and just chill, or go nuts and straighten everything out. In the end I think my level of tiredness will be the deciding factor, rather than any great wisdom or insight, unfortunately.
Part of the problem has been trying to keep the house pristine for showings. Notably, yesterday we had an open house, so I stashed a lot of stuff not where it belongs for dumb reasons like making closets look bigger. But you know what? Nobody showed up. Not a single soul. And all the people who have shown up on other occasions to see the house, whether it was pristine or not, they haven't wanted to buy the house. Why am I wasting all this energy? I'm not going to go around trashing the place, but I'm through worrying about keeping it exactly perfect any more. And despite the various physical spasms this would probably cause my realtor if she knew, I'm setting up my spinning wheel... in the living room. (That's the only room left with any chairs.) Do you bite your thumb at us, sir? No, sir, I do not bite my thumb at you, sir, but I bite my thumb, sir.

No comments: