Wednesday, October 8, 2008

trying to make fire

Last night I was all into the dyeing. I decided to make a bold move: trying a colorway that's still in the experimental stages on the BFL. Remember this crazy yarn that I dyed the other day?


Well, I almost liked it, and when I saw it hanging up to dry, it really looked like fire, except it was missing the orange. So last night I decided to wing it and add some orange. I have a pretty good handle on what to expect from the sock yarn, but the BFL is still a bit of an unknown.
Well? Well???
It's still too warm to rinse, so I still can't say 100% what the final result will look like when it's dry. Here it is through its steamy plastic bags, though. The yarn:


The spinning fiber:


I can't wait to wash it and see what it looks like dry, but I guess I'll have to. I can't believe it's still so warm! Last night must have been a later night than I realized. Anyway, it looks promising. I diluted the yellow, and it's still so bright. Which could be awesome if it really does look like fire. I want to know nooooooowwwwww!!!
I'm sure I'm not the only one with problems delaying gratification, so here's something that's finished.


This is a semi-solid yarn, which I don't usually do. It's part of my new Color Stew collection. What do you do when you have a whole lot of little bits of great stuff left over, and it's really not enough to make a whole thing of anything? You make stew. That's what I did with all the last little bits of dye left in the bottoms of jars before I mixed a whole raft more. These skeins are one-of-a-kind, didn't even try to pay attention to what I was doing. This one is a personal favorite; even though I usually don't like the whole light colors/pastel/lavender scene, this one calls to me because of the depth provided by the darker spots. That's why I'm glad I'm not in some boring business like radiators or something--if nobody wants to buy this one, it's mine!

No comments: