Friday, August 22, 2008

pretty colors

I got myself all worked up into a state again yesterday. But suddenly the Voice of Reason showed up and said, "You know spinning always makes you feel better. Why don't you quit whining and drooping around, and spin some?" For once, I listened.
The new, brightly colored mohair from last weekend called out to me as the perfect antidote to the blues.


It was a little harder to spin than wool--a lot like the alpaca blend I bought a while back, the fibers are slippery, and if you don't really put in a lot of twist, the yarn wants to break. When I was doing the alpaca, every time I put in enough twist for the singles to stay together, it seemed like it was going to be really stiff, hard, loftless yarn. But when I plied it, it came out gorgeous. I applied that lesson to the mohair.


Love! Navajo plying sure is a handy skill. I'm definitely not consistent enough to reliably get the colors to line up in two plies, and I really didn't want barber poling on this yarn--I wanted to preserve the intensity of the colors. This yarn makes me drool.

1 comment:

~ Phyllis ~ said...

I love that yarn. Those colors are so pretty. I'm drooling along with you.
I wanted to ask you about your hanging yarn. I like the way you have it hanging on the walls. How do you do that? My wool room is fast running out of room. My husband says that I have utilized every inch of space in the room. I never thought about hanging hanks of yarn on the walls.